Our love and thoughts are with everybody affected by these horrible bushfires, including children, families, animals and emergency responders.
The practical, emotional and psychological devastation of this loss of land and life cannot be understated. It will cause ripple effects that last well beyond the active fires, particularly for those who are already vulnerable. As we did in 2009, TLC for Kids is preparing internally to support any current or future TLC Families who have been affected by the bushfires, and provide them with the support they need.
To any healthcare referrers in our network, please head to our healthcare portral to refer any relevant cases of patients affected by the bushfire.
Below are some helpful resources for vulnerable people in the TLC Community and general public at this time:
- Northcott: How to support a person with disability during the fire season
- Hey Sigmund: How to Strengthen Children & Teens Against Anxiety After News of a World Trauma
- Every Australian Counts: Emergency information for NDIS participants and families affected by bushfires
- Emerging Minds: Community Trauma Toolkit
- Mercy Corps: Helping children through crisis: 10 tips for parents and caregivers
- Queensland Government: Natural Disaster Storybooks
- Early Connections: Bushfire Social Story
- Ideas: Bushfire Crisis Information
It has been amazing to see the generosity of spirit of the Australian people rallying to support these communities. It is a fantastic, meaningful step to helping everybody face the long road ahead.
Please continue to take care of yourselves and one another.
TLC for Kids.